FOODS FIDO SHOULD AVOID
Imagine it: it’s dinnertime and, just as you’re about to take your first bite, you hear panting and a little nudge against your leg. Your dear, devoted doggo looks up at you with pleading eyes, begging for just one small nibble. Sure, we’ve all been there and we’ve all slipped our four-legged friend a scrap or two, but, if you’re not careful, those dinnertime slips can put your pup at serious risk. As a matter of fact, many human foods are extremely toxic for dogs, and some might even be in your pantry. So be in the know and keep your dog away from these ingredients.
While we may love the occasional side of guacamole, inside the seeds, leaves, and fruit of an avocado is persin, a toxin that is harmless to humans but deadly to dogs. According to the American Kennel Club, the most dangerous part of the avocado for dogs is the pit. Keep your pupper safe by protecting them from avocados or even the plant, just to be safe. Plus, that means more for you.
Sharing a beer with your best friend on paws might sound like fun, but the fact is that alcohol has the same effect on the brain and liver of dogs as it does on humans. If you’re thinking that means it’s relatively harmless, you should keep in mind that it takes far less alcohol content to do great damage to your pet. For dogs, consuming alcohol can cause vomiting, diahrrea, and kidney damage, and we can assure you that cleaning up after that is worse than any hangover.
In this episode of unsolved canine mysteries, we bring you to the grape. Delicious to humans, but absolutely toxic to dogs. While eating grapes can often cause kidney failure in dogs, the lethal toxin’s identity remains an enigma. Even stranger, not all grapes seem to be toxic. Just to be on the safe side, don’t feed your dog any grapes. Ever. For wine-related inquiries, please see #2.
4. Onion and Garlic
You know your red blood cells? Well, they carry oxygen to and from the heart, so they’re pretty important. Onions and garlic can kill your dog’s red blood cells, potentially causing anemia, regardless of whether they’re cooked, raw, powdered, or Bloomin’.
5. Milk or Dairy
Just like people, dogs can be lactose-intolerant. If you’ve never had to examine whether a piece of cheese is ‘worth it’, suffice it to say that milk and other dairy products can cause digestion issues and intense itching sensations for your dog. Protect them by doing your part and eating more cheese. We recommend Swiss.
6. Macadamia Nuts
While these little beauties come together to create a delicious ice cream for people, it only takes a few macadamia nuts to cause a non-fatal syndrome, characterized by vomiting, ataxia, fever, and muscle tremors. If all of that sounds less than great to you (and it should), keep your dog away from these salty sirens.
Finally, we come to xylitol. If you’re wondering what xylitol even is, you’re not alone. Xylitol is a common sweetener found in toothpaste, gum, candy, baked goods, and certain foods. At this point, you’re probably warming up to the idea of this sweetener, but xylitol can cause dangerous drops in blood sugar and even liver failure in dogs.
Even though we try our best to be careful with our pets, accidents happen. If your dog eats anything toxic, call for emergency help right away. The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center can be reached at 888-426-4435.